Monday, October 6, 2008

Socrates: Objectivist?

I came across this passage in Plato's Apology (Socrates' speech given at his own trial), and it struck me as having a distinctive Randian flare. I would be curious to hear the interpretations of others as well.


"For I go around doing nothing but persuading both young and old among you not to care for your body or your wealth in preference to or as strongly as for the best possible state of your soul, as I say to you 'Wealth does not bring about excellence, but excellence makes wealth and everything else good for men, both individually and collectively.'"

This reminds me of a certain money speech, and I think that this is a point we don't make enough in response to our critics. We are not pro-money or pro-business per se. We as libertarians are pro-excellence, pro-choice (not necessarily in the abortion sense- that's a little more tricky), pro-market and recognize that people should be compensated according to their achievements. It is not merely about hedonism and greed as it is often construed. It is about worth

As mentioned before, your opinions are more than welcome on this and any matter on this blog.

No comments: